November 29, 2017

So... I Bought an Instant Pot

So... I Bought an Instant Pot ®

My Reasons & Early Review

electric pressure cookers, instant pot duo plus
Such a huge box! My Instant Pot has arrived!
So... I bought an Instant Pot ® even though my kitchen is already overflowing with kitchen appliances and other gadgets I hardly use. As a busy mom of two young children, I strive to manage my time as effectively as possible in order to keep up with everything going on in life. When it comes to completing all of life's daily tasks, sometimes it is not possible to spend as much time with your children as one would like. The Instant Pot ® is a kitchen device that can at least help you save time in the area of cooking.

I first learned about the Instant Pot ® through a Facebook group in my area that has a pretty impressive following (almost 30,000 women in one place). Apparently all the cool moms in my area have this fancy electric pressure cooker. Sure, I want to be a cool mom! I was basically sold on just that alone. I then followed a post where other ladies (and busy moms like myself) were having a Q&A session on why the Instant Pot ® is such a necessity for their lives. I was completely sold when I learned that one could cook meat in this device FROM FROZEN! Take ALL my money!

When I first became a mom, freezing leftovers and bargain meat finds was a huge money-saver for me. However, as a new parent, I had my hands full with the obvious--taking care of a child. I would save a ton by purchasing meats in bulk but would then forget to take the frozen block of food out to thaw. During the good times, I would make multiple trips to the grocery store but that, in itself, became costly (not having a shopping plan) and time-consuming. Over time, I gave in and ordered delivery or carryout instead of spending the time to thaw foods and then take the time to cook them.

I did some independent research and learned that there are multiple models of this device with varying looks, sizes, and features. I then comparison shopped to see what other brands of electric pressure cookers were on the market. Pressure cookers have been a huge addition to the culinary world but setups of the past could be very dangerous if not used appropriately. All electric pressure cookers are equipped to do basically the same tasks but the Instant Pot ® boasted 10 specific safety features that made the device practically foolproof. I chose the 6-quart, Instant Pot ® Duo Plus 9-in-1 electric pressure cooker to start my journey.

electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot Duo, rice cooker, steamer, eggs, slow cooker
Replace over 9 appliances with Instant Pot!
My Instant Pot ® Duo Plus 9-in-1 takes the place of the following appliances:
  • Pressure Cooker
  • Slow Cooker
  • Rice Cooker
  • Yogurt Maker
  • Egg Cooker
  • Sauté
  • Steamer
  • Warmer
  • Sterilizer
For less than $100 (shop around for a deal), you will have a device that is valued at well over $300!

Some DO's & DON'Ts when using the Instant Pot ®

DO read the entire instruction manual before use
DO the water test (this ensures your cooker is working correctly)
DO try established IP recipes before creating your own
DO release steam away from your kitchen cabinets
DO brag to friends and family how quick and easy your IP makes cooking

DON'T ever place any of your body parts over the steam vent
DON'T release steam without protecting your hand
DON'T quick release the steam from meats, oats, or pastas
DON'T operate or store your IP on your stovetop burners

I'm still a beginner, but if you have any questions about the Instant Pot, leave them below!